When we add fertilizers to the soil, the nutrients from it slowly release and mix with soil. Then, the trees or plants have their proper minerals, nutrients from the ground. Thus, the root becomes stronger, leaves and stems grow faster, sizes and tastes of fruits improve.
We are a group that loves to grow plants outside. Hence, we have applied several fertilizers throughout the time relevant to specific crops or plants. We’ve come here with the best fertilizer for outdoor grow before you.
Read the whole article if you are also searching for fertilizers for outdoor plants. You will learn the necessary information and specialties about our selected products.
Note: Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K) are three primary and typical ingredients of all the fertilizers. The presences of these elements at a specific ratio determine the different impact on plants. This ratio is known as NPK or N-P-K ratio (example: 10:10:10). Besides these, other necessary elements help in the plantation.
Our Picks for Outdoor Grow Fertilizer
1. Best Overall: Miracle-Gro Water-Soluble All-Purpose Plant Food
“It can boost the plant growth and increases production.”
2. All-Natural: Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed All Purpose Plant Food
“It gives sufficient nutrients to any kind of vegetables.”
3. Best for Green Plants: Burpee Organic Blood Meal Fertilizer
“Filled with nitrogen, great for green vegetables.”
4. Best Root-Growth: Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food
“Fertilizer full of heavy nutrients made for perennials cultivation.”
5. Best Starter: Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for Lawn Fertilizer
“Makes your land cultivable and increases the growth of grass naturally.”
Types of fertilizer for outdoor grow
Fertilizers for outdoor grows are available in different forms. You can apply them in different ways, such as spraying, sprinkling, mixing into soil, etc. Here are the popular varieties of these fertilizers:
Organic and inorganic
- Organic fertilizers are made from natural ingredients. They have a steady, long-lasting impact on plants. The components of these fertilizers come from plant and animal sources like manure, bone, blood, alfalfa, kelp meal etc.
- Inorganic fertilizers contain a heavy amount of nutrients, but they provide the least impact duration than organic ones. Again, excessive chemicals in these inorganic products may also hamper production.
Liquid fertilizers are primarily available in concentrated form. You may need to dilute it with regular water to apply on the plants. After using the liquid, the dirt breaks down, and nutrients are released. Again, some fluids are available in the sprayer. You can directly spray it on the plant foliage.
Fertilizers are also packaged as pellets or granular forms. We have used granule fertilizers in some vegetable cultivation. By the way, you can mix these granules into the soil before or during planting time. Also, sprinkling them onto the surface works the same. These are two types of granule fertilizers:
- Slow-release fertilizers release nutrients slowly, but the impact duration is higher. As an example, we have used them in the early of the season. But it worked till we get the crops. It may take months to dissolve the granules into soil completely.
- Quick-release fertilizers are usually artificial inorganic products. They have chemicals or agents for the maintenance of flowers, fruits, and vegetables. But they are magical! They dissolve only within a few weeks and give plants nutrients faster at high volume.
Well! They really look like spikes. These fertilizer spikes work great in indoor plants. But we have seen some cultivators using them in small to medium size fields or gardens. Spikes work in these ways: drive the spike into the soil for 2-3 inches depth, it releases nutrients into the soil, and trees get what it needs. Spikes can remain active for 5-6 months.
Best Fertilizer for Outdoor Grow Reviews 2021
We have used several fertilizers for various types of trees, plants. They were influential in their own ways like strong roots, tough stems, etc. They also went well for pure green foliage, increased rate of fruit and flower productions. We today share our selected products that may be friendly to your farming life:
1. Miracle-Gro Water-Soluble All-Purpose Plant Food
Once you search “best fertilizer for outdoor grow” on the web or ask some experts, Miracle-Gro will be in the first favor list. This company is producing earth products since 1868. Water-soluble, all-purpose fertilizer is one of the quality products.
We are amazed at the packaging of the fertilizer. It has all the user instructions written on the packaging. As it is water-soluble, a 6.25 pounds single pack of fertilizer will run for a long time. You can apply the all-purpose plant food with a feeder jar and water hose.
The product is most effective when you feed the plants every 1-2 weeks. The results will be visible sooner. We have found the product safe on all plants. Also, there was no sign of burning plants as we had followed the instructions.
What makes it different:
Trusting Miracle-Gro products is always inspiring and satisfying. This selected water-soluble fertilizer is good overall. It works at a moderate pace, releases nutrients faster, and makes all the plant growth pleasing.
NPK Ratio: 24-8-16
- Affordable all-purpose fertilizer
- Hassle-free application with feeder jar and sprayer
- It blends with the soil and releases nutrients faster
- Safe for most outdoor plants
- Improves the growth of vegetables and flower plants
- Excessive nitrogen level requires extra care in the application
- Always needs to maintain the application schedule of 1-2 weeks
2. Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed All Purpose Plant Food
Organic fertilizers are always better for trees and plants outdoor grow NZ. They may work steadily but the outcome is excellent. Shake “N Feed from Miracle-Gro is such organic food for the plants. It works best in growing vegetables. So, farmers love to apply this feed to their fields.
This 1-pound all-purpose fertilizer contains mostly natural micronutrients. Kelp, earthworm castings, feather and bone meal, are significant ingredients. They are beneficial for the soil microbes to flow the right amount of nutrients. Therefore, you can apply this product by mixing it into the soil and watering it.
The nitrogen level of this product is higher for the vibrant and robust growth of plants. Once you apply the fertilizer, it will consistently serve for 90 days on average. Besides, it will not burn the plants by following proper instructions.
What makes it different:
This product is suitable for vegetable cultivation as it is enriched with sufficient organic nutrients and a high level of Nitrogen.
NPK Ratio: 12-4-8
- Economical for fruits, flowers, and vegetable growth
- Made from organic ingredients
- Easy to use on any ground or pots
- Three months of long-lasting feeding to the plants
- Safe for all the plants and zero risks of burning
- Increases vegetable production with bright colors, taste, and sizes
- Some users complained that it was less effective in yields production
3. Burpee Organic Blood Meal Fertilizer
Now, we would like to share something great for vegetable cultivations. We think you have heard of blood meal. It contains all the organic outdoor growing nutrients. Burpee blood meal fertilizer from the United States works immensely in changing dull fields into green, colorful places.
This best fertilizer for outdoor grow contains necessary Nitrogen. It increases the development and production of fruit plants and vegetables. Broccoli, corns, eggplants, melons, spinach, squash, tomato, and other leafy green vegetables grow more after applying this fertilizer.
Burpee fertilizer is OMRI listed safe for gardening in organic ways. Besides, the 12-0-0 NPK formula is suitable for plants that are hungry for Nitrogen. Besides, it boosts growth, improves the number of healthy vegetables. It has no significant smell. So, no rabbits, moose, or deer come to the field after applying it.
What makes it different:
The increased amount of Nitrogen with no phosphorus and potassium is friendly and beneficial for vegetable farmers. It can bring the natural color and taste of vegetables and fruits faster.
NPK Ratio: 12-0-0
- Pureblood meal fertilizer for green crops
- Provides plenty nitrogen for proper growth and fruitfulness
- Dissolves into soil cleanly and releases nutrients at the right amount
- No significant smell after application
- OMRI listed product, safe for organic applications
- Excessive use of blood meal can damage the leaves
- Comparatively pricey in terms of 3 pounds bag of fertilizer
4. Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food
Do you have perennials in your outdoor garden? Osmocote plant food is popular for releasing vital forces to them thoroughly. An 8-pound fertilizer pack can serve a huge amount of nutrients for up to 4 months. So, you can stay worry-free about planting flowers and vegetables for the whole season.
This smart-release product contains a high level of Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. When it mixes with soil, it gradually releases foods to the plants. Again, the granule coating of semi-permeable resin is impressive in strong root growth and stem cell improvement.
The application of the fertilizer is very simple: sprinkle, mix and spray water. You will see empty shells after nutrients are released. You can apply this product every four months for continuous plantation. However, many experts recommend this product as a must-have item.
What makes it different:
Granule coating of semi-permeable resin contains a high level of nutrients. So, this product is best for perennials like vegetables and flowers production.
NPK Ratio: 14-14-14
- Enables quick-growth and strong root development
- An ideal choice for long-term growing plants
- Most suitable for satisfying outdoor grow bloom
- Designed to feed vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, spinach, etc.
- Simple to apply on the fields
- Up to 4 months feeding duration
- The plastic shells of granules left after releasing nutrients are not safe for the environment
- Some users criticized that it is hard to dissolve after watering soil
5. Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for Lawn Fertilizer
Scotts Turf Builder fertilizer is entirely different from the above products. This Florida lawn fertilizer is designed for cultivating green grass on the field. You can apply this starter-range fertilizer to a 5000 sq. feet area with a single 16.37 pounds pack.
Who does not love to see green lawns filled with evenly grown, green, thick grasses? Scotts Turf Builder increases the density of any type of grass. You just need to use it every 6-8 weeks to see the benefits. The manufacturer claims that grasses grow 70% thicker and 35% faster after following their applying instructions. Yes, we also found that in our lawn.
It does not matter if you are thinking of a new lawn or reseeding the current one. This weed fertilizer is fantastic for even sods, sprigs, grass plugs installation. Again, it works the same in any season. Once you apply it before or after grass plantation, you will see the land green even under extreme heat or drought.
What makes it different:
Scotts Turf Builder is well-known for growing weeds and similar plants. It can provide up to six weeks of consistent release of nutrients without burning the grasses.
NPK Ratio: 32-0-4
- Suitable for new or reseeding the existing grass or weed lawns
- Contains the double amount of Nitrogen for heavy grass production
- Applicable in any season on all types of grasses
- Improves the density of the grass in the fields
- A single pack fertilizer can cover up to 5000 sq. feet area
- Grasses grow 70% thicker and 35% quicker
- Heavy uses of fertilizer may burn the grass for the high amount of Nitrogen
How do you fertilize outdoor plants?
Many experienced farmers or agriculturists apply fertilizers in distinct ways. We have taken suggestions from some of them. Also, our research has found the following methods to fertilize outdoor plants:
Usually, 3 pounds of Nitrogen per 1000 sq. feet area is enough for woody plants’ growth. For ornamental plants, the amount can be half. For longtime development (perennials), 1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq. feet would work great.
You should test the soil every 1.5 to 2 years to maintain the quality. A soil test gives clarity of the nutrient’s presence in the soil. Therefore, you can test soil in the middle of winter for spring plantations. Always try to apply fertilizer depending on the results of soil tests. It helps to gain good harvest and avoid burning of plants.
- If you need to reapply fertilizers frequently, choose coolest time of the day for better result.
- Granular and fertilizer spikes are good to apply while watering the plants.
- Early morning and early evening are suitable for using liquid products.
- Mix the granule fertilizers into soil properly by sprinkling and watering, or manually with spades.
- Water the area before applying any liquid or spray fertilizers.
- Dissolve the concentrated liquid fertilizers first and then apply on the plants.
How do you increase yield outdoors?
According to our study, you can maintain the yields production rate by following these rules:
- Get expert suggestions and follow them. For example, State regulations suggest that selling 80 or above percentage of crops grown in the last 6 months can help increase yields.
- Have a complete soil test before starting flower, fruits, or vegetable cultivation. It gives the idea of which and how much harvest you can get from the field.
- Water the soil regularly and apply fertilizers after watering to release more feeds to the plants.
- Organic fertilizers such as blood meal is beneficial mainly for growing green vegetables.
- Avoid mixing Nitrogen at the vast amount to prevent burning the crops.
- Choose the best time for spraying or mixing feed to soil.
- Follow the instructions written on the package for lush foliage and better fruit production.
Buying Guide –Choosing the Best fertilizer for outdoor grow
Adding fertilizers to soil means you are nurturing the plants to grow from infant to adult trees well. They are the life sources of plants. In general, you can grow outdoor plants on any outdoor fields. But that is not scientifically logical because plants may die or not grow well if the soil is not good. Liquid, granule, or pellets – whatever fertilizers you use, all are designed for regular agriculture.
Now, the question is, what the best fertilizer for outdoor plants is? You have nothing to worry as we already listed some exciting products. Below is a brief buying to choose the right product for your outdoor yields:
Know the Plants
It means we are suggesting you to know the types of fertilizers suitable for indoor or outdoor plants. If it is outdoor plants, you should not buy the products made for indoor applications. Because all these products have a different amounts of nutrients targeted to pot soil or the fields. Some fertilizers are already mentioned to use specifically on fruits, or flowers, or even other vegetables.
Know the Amount
You cannot just spray or sprinkle the fertilizers on the outdoor lawn, garden, or fields. Read the application manual before you start doing so. Many standard products mention how much of them are applicable of a mentioned size of lands. If you do not see any manual, you can try trial and error method. Take a small amount of fertilizer and apply on a small area. Wait for a certain time like weeks or days and check out the results. Then, adjust the amount keeping it relevant to your expectations and plant growth.
Follow NPK Ratio
It is a must thing to know if you are working on outdoor growing plants. Nitrogen helps to bring the natural color of plants. Phosphorus and potassium increase the internal amount of nutrients, taste, and quality of crops. The ratio of NPK is written on the package body. It suggests which type of crops are suitable for the use of the particular product. Excessive uses of fertilizers (or Nitrogen) may reverser the natural results.
Choose Organic Products
The products we have selected are completely organic. They never harm the plants and burn the fields. Also, they are good for avoiding toxicity. Adding to these, fruits, vegetables are safe and healthy for humans and pets when you use organic fertilizers.
You will never know how vital the correct growth of plants is until you start doing it. Best fertilizer for outdoor grow is the way planting crops in innovative ways. It boosts productions, brings more revenues within the quickest time. But finding the right product may seem a bit tough among hundreds of brands.
We have figured out everything for you. Choose any of the select fertilizers for plantation and hopefully, you will get the green, mind-blowing plants.