Who doesn’t wants some veggies that easily grow at home? With the most powerful and short maturity, time radish is what you can easily grow at home. So, let’s see how to grow radishes at home easily with minimal care.
Radish is an edible shallow root vegetable & one of the fastest-growing plants. It is rich in Vitamin – A, C, E, B6, potassium, and other minerals. Antioxidants and anthocyanins of radish are quite useful for your heart. Radishes are low-calorie food. A fun fact is that one cup of radishes (sliced) has only 19 calories.
Radish differs in size, color, shape, taste depending on its type. They can be both open-pollinated and hybrid. Let’s talk about the three main types of radishes –
1. Summer Radish– The growth rate of these types of radishes is slow, almost takes 6-8 weeks to mature. They are typically similar to spring radishes.
2. Spring Radish- They grow in cold weather of spring and fall. It is the most common type of radish and fastest-growing radish as well. Ex- Cherry Belle radish. Ready to harvest in 3 to 4 weeks.
3. Winter Radish- It has a slower growth rate than the other two types of radishes & the size is more extensive, having starchy elongated root. For winter or fall harvest, sow it in late summer. Ex-Daikon & Champions. Daikon grows up to 18 inches long & become mature in 60 days.
Period of cultivation
Planting radishes under cold weather in spring & fall is mostly recommended.
Instead of using seed trays for transplant, direct sow them in the desired pot or garden. It gives the best result.
All types of soil are suitable for radish cultivation, but obstruction-free ground containing ample humus will give the best result. Rough land will cause obstruction. Radishes will become thin if it doesn’t get enough light, moisture & nutrients.
6-7 is a proper pH for growing radishes. If the pH is low, then use dolomite lime or agricultural lime in autumn. Maintaining pH is a must as it plays a vital role in preventing fungus.
Sow the seeds 1/2 inch deep. Keep the seeds 1 inch apart from each other.
Full sun exposure or partial shade area is needed.
- Radish seeds.
- Hand spade.
Steps to plant radishes
- Select the variety of radish you want to grow. Cherry Belle radishes become matured in just 22 days & have a mild flavor.
- The right area of soil having a proper amount of nutrients and sun exposure.
- Sow the seeds directly into the soil at a half-inch deep.
- Maintain (1-3) inches spacing between seeds.
- Water them.
- Harvest them at 1-3 inches diameter. The size differs according to the radish type.
- Wash the radishes and preserve them.
Don’t grow radishes in temperatures above 60⁰F. Excessive sunlight causes growth hindrance. Sometimes due to high temperature, the stems become long, but the fruit is tiny. In that case, you should harvest as early as possible.
Adequate drainage is mandatory for preventing molds & root rots.
We all know that water is essential, but overwatering will leave stress over roots causing root crack. Moreover, moist and damp places are suitable for fungus causing fungal diseases. Once they are affected, reduce the level of watering for a short time.
For weed control, spread mulch around the plants. Mulch will also cause less need for water.
The common diseases of radishes
Most common infections are –
Black rot is a seed-borne disease causing the infected tissue to turn into yellow & chlorosis occurs. Veins become brown or black.
Apply a hot water treatment for 30 minutes. Spreading (10-12) Kg bleaching powder per hector is also useful.
Leaves become yellowish when this disease occurs. Styler ends look black and shriveled.
Spray Maneb (0.2%) or Zineb (0.25%) or Blitox 50, Copper oxychloride (0.5-0.75%) over the plant. 2 or 3 sprayings are enough.
Purplish brown spots under the leaves surface detect the disease. The upper surface of leaves become tan to yellow.
Spray 0.2% Maneb, 2-3 times at 10 days interval.
At the time of flowering, the flower looks affected, and dull grey to light violet discoloration occurs.
One or two sprays of Monocrotophos (0.05%) or Phosphamidon (0.05%) can control the disease.
White powdery substances on the leaf surfaces & flowering shoots confirm the disease.
Eliminate diseased crops. For effective control, spread 0.8% Bordeaux mixture or Dithane Z – 78 (0.3%) over the plants.
Following pests attacks the radish foliage most
Cutworms, flea beetles, aphids, harlequin bugs, cabbage loopers.
Radishes of 1 to 3 inches in diameter (2.5 to 7.5 cm) are ready for collection. Size may slightly differ according to the type of radish. It is better to check the packet of the seeds. Remove the soil & wash it with water.
We came to know much about radish, its varieties, diseases, and how to grow them quickly at home. You can preserve them in a cool dark place for up to 2 weeks. Now you can give it a try. If you are in need of some other vegetable to grow at home you can definitely go for spinach. And if you want to know how to do it give this article a read on how to grow spinach plant at home.
- Period of cultivation
- Soil condition
- Suitable pH
- Sun exposure
- Required element
- Steps to plant radishes
- Excessive heat
- Drainage system
- Control overwatering
- Weed control
- The common diseases of radishes
- Following pests attacks the radish foliage most
- At last