Who doesn’t want a marvellous yard which blows out the mind in first look? Even if you are not a gardener, you will badly want it. But there is an obstruction to every dream that acts as an enemy. In this case, it is the dandelions, weeds, and invaders. So, I am here with the best dandelion killer that will let your dreams become a reality.
Top 10 Dandelion Killer Reviews
1. Spectracide 511071 Weed and Grass Killer
- Control over elongated weed & grass
- Ensure free from weed-plants for up to five months
- Visible output within three hours
- A killing-formulae that contain Diquat, Dicamba, Oxyfluorfen & Fluazifop-p-butyl
It kills lawn weeds and grasses and hinders it is coming for up to five months. The best part is you will be satisfied to see those outcoming visible results within three hours. Defends the rainwater from washing away the effects. In other words, it turns out that even 15 minutes of watering the lawn can’t reduce the impact as well.
What will make you sure about the results is the visual symptoms? The appearance will be like turning of leaves colour into yellow or brown. Besides, leaves will start curling, drying, twisting and wilting. These changes and ultimate killing rates differ from plant to plant depending on weed type, climate, temperature and speed of application. A standard application rate is a 7fl oz per gallon water.
To achieve the best output, you have to apply than at a temperature of 60 to more degrees. That is, the weather has to be sunny and warm enough. You will be able to replant the area after one day of application.
Fences, patios, paths, curbs, driveways, sidewalks can be used along with them. The surrounding can be ornamented with well-established planting like flower beds, trees, shrubs, and building structures.
- The noticeable result within a short time
- You have to wait for at least one day to replant
- Not for the land that has to be planted within the next five-month
2. Espoma Organic Weed Preventer
- Corn gluten meal is the raw element that is organic
- Ensures a deep, greenish appearance
- Preventing weed root development
- Apply twice in a year
- Give its best output in fall
- Nitrogen bag
It is a good dandelion killer. Moreover, it kills crabgrass & weed as well and ensures deep with green colour. It provides the slow intake of nitrogen by the plant at a rate of 8.23%.The best thing is it is safe for creatures, and they can enter the lawn even after application.
It is kind of two in one product having pre-emergent preventer which prevents weed and fertilizer which nurtures plants with nitrogen. Twenty-five lbs. The amount of this fertilizer will cover a land of area 1250 sq. Ft.
Sometimes it seems that people are complaining about a product being useless. But most of the time, it turns out that they didn’t follow the instruction paper, and the main fault is in their maintenance.
Well, like many other gardeners a mistake was made by me also. I didn’t use it as much as it is needed for a good and noticeable result. So, you have to avoid the mistake that was done by me. Apply a burdensome layer of the product and see how it brightened your lawn.
- Easy application
- Harmless for creatures
- Doesn’t kill crabgrass though it prevents its’ germination
- Not rainproof, so you have to ensure safety from rainfall
- Not for summer
- Not for the weeds that are already established, only valid on the seeds
3. Green it Environmental Factor RTS Corn Gluten Weed Preventer
- Pre-emergent weed controller
- Effective on worm
- Effective on seasonal winter grasses
- A water-soluble formula which is patented
This dandelion spray stops and ends weed ultimately before sprouting. The product is manufactured from the USA. One of its constituents is a dipeptide which is a protein and does the main work of preventing weeds in the soil. Along with dandelion it also works on clover, crabgrass, and weeds. It is concentrated liquid gluten of corn.
It is written on the bottle that a bottle covers 2000 sq. Ft. You can use the product in lawns, around the trees, flower beds and shrubs as well. Apply them at a temperature of 55-60 degrees & use it for three days at a row for the first time of the season. I have applied the process for the last three years, and the result is satisfactory.
Many of the users asked that whether the product is GMO or Non-GMO. Well, you need to know that all corns are GMO. So, this product isn’t a non-GMO, but dandelion killer spray for lawns.
I have Tulips & Forsythia in our garden. I will recommend applying the product immediately when these flowers bloom. Then you will be able to see those outstanding views of your garden. The product should have last through the season of new germination.
- Cover more land than granular one
- Less amount is enough
- Environmentally friendly
- Not easy to apply as granular one
- As it is designed to be preventative, it doesn’t affect the established weed. If you want to kill the existing one, then it is better to look for another product than relying on this one
4. Southern Ag Amine 24-D Weed Killer – Best herbicide for dandelions
- 1-4 pints/acre is the economical rate of use
- Dominate several broadleaf weeds
- Woody plants are also targeted
- Use in fences, turf, ditch banks, rangeland, non-crop sites, small grains and pastures
- Contains: 3.8 lbs./gallon 2,4-D acid equivalent mixture concentrate at a low volatile in the form of amine
- Chemical and post-emergent
It is one of the top-rated dandelion killers. It is a pre & post-emergent herbicide product with powerful constituents. So, you have to be careful at the time if use and avoid overlapping. 2 to 3 tablespoons of the product in 3 to 5 gallons containing water can cover an area of 1,000 sq. Ft. But you should double-check the instructions on the product.
It is a broadleaf killer and grasses aren’t supposed to be killed. But if you use them again & again in a systematic manner and particular area, then the grass will eventually die. This small note is for the one who wants this product to effect on St. Augustine. I have used it on oxalis weed although the instruction said not to use on St. Augustine.
Due to its durable materials, this product works very fast and effectively.
- Best weed killer for dandelions
- You have to be cautious enough to follow the instructions. Overlap may cause massive damage as its constituents are solid
- Avoid those susceptible plants
- Avoid drift plants
5. SDoctor Kirchner Natural Weed Killer – Best Pick
- A natural ingredient with commercial strength
- Contains ocean salt
- Vinegar and soap
- An excellent alternative to toxic herbicides
- Creature safety
This is an excellent example of the organic dandelion killer based on oceanic saltwater. This product cares about your loved ones and focuses on safety. You are safe to replant when it is dry. It is easy to apply with fast-acting capability. You have to reapply for the stubborn grasses.
You will be able to see that it is a highly rated product on the market with five stars. Like who doesn’t want to purchase such product which is harmful to invaders and friendly to users? A gardener like me have many pets, and we ensure weed-less safe lawn.
This product helps you to think in a new way about weed preventer. The word that always comes in our mind when we listen dandelion killer for lawns is the most toxic product it is!! But this is the most effective and non-toxic product helping you to visualize the result within 24 hours. I have witnessed it.
- No mixing
- No Hormone
- No Glyphosate
- Environmentally friendly dandelion weed killer
- Reapplication for the stubborn grasses
- Sometimes the user finds it hard to pour as it spills out. Anyway, if you pour it with care, then this might not happen
6. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate
- Remove unwanted vegetation from your fence rows, patios, driveways, walkways and many other areas of your lawns
- Fast-acting ingredient
- A sprinkle can / tank sprayer is ok for application
As it is such a durable product, it has to be applied with a considerable amount of concentration. It covers an area of almost 400 sq. Ft. It also has five times more coverage upgrade formula than its’ last version. It provides you with a sprinkle cap for ready-to-use. Provided sprinkle capsizes in 32 oz. And 1.25 gallons.
Follow the instruction for the application. Pay much importance to that instruction. Self-protection is a must during use. Wear a mask, hand gloves and eyeglasses for safety. I have a problem with the smelly product. This product hardly smells and doesn’t smell at all when it is dry. Don’t spray it when the weather is windy.
This stuff is excellent. Even if it rains, still it is active for almost one year. But if it rains cats and dogs within two to three days after application, then it might stay for nine to ten months. Still quite long, isn’t it?
- Gives protection up to one year
- Lucky to witness the results within one hour
- Easy to apply
- Duality action
- Apply in such a place where zero vegetation is desired for at least one year
7. Southern Ag – 12401 – Surflan A.S.
- Particular pre-emergence
- Prevent annual grasses
- Prevent all those broadleaf weeds
- Prevent seeds of weed
- Surface-applied herbicide
It is for the warm seasonal turf like Zoysia, St. Augustine, Bahia grass, Bermuda grass, Buffalo grass, Centipede, etc. I use it over both the lawns and ornamentals. You can also do it over non-bearing trees and those of vines, the warm seasonal turd that is already established, industrial sites.
The product contains 40.04% Oryzalin. You need to apply water immediately or wait for twenty-one days. It will last up to four months for measurement of 1.5 oz / 1000 sq. Ft.
It works best for dominating the pre-emergent growth of weeds. From my personal experience, for existing weed-plants, mix the stuff with roundup type products. Then you will be able to take care of the next long four months.
Another problem you will face is that your sprayer will clogged-up as its’ constituents are so thick. But for only this problem, deciding not to purchase such good stuff is kind of silly act. Every issue does have a solution, so this one also!
What remedy I applied is I added water to my sprayer tank first. Then I used the stuff in a diluted condition. The ratio will stand like 5:1. And I also adjusted the volume of the sprayer’s hose end.
After you have applied it once then do not reseed for the following 90-120 days.
- Money worthy
- Broad leaves killer
- As it is a pre-emergent, doesn’t affect much on established weed if used inadvertently
8. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer – Budget Pick
- The satisfactory visual result within two to four days
- 41% glyphosate
- Coverage of 25,000 sq. Ft.
- For post-emergent weeds
It gives its outstanding output in warm & sunny weather. In the daytime with a temperature of more than 60-degree F, it is good to apply. Make sure that news of 24 hours no rain is forecasted.
This herbicide is so powerful that it will kill all of your green plants. That is why spot-spraying in your lawns is not recommended. Spray foliage of the targeted plant as it works through absorption by plants.
This product quickly got mixed in water. As it is post-emergent stuff, so it will demolish all the existing stuff but will not treat or affect the future growth of weeds. The prescribed part of your yard can be replanted in one day in the least. It operates an area up to 25,500 sq. Ft.
The product does have an expired date as they have tested and found that that period. But the product offers you an eternal shelf life as glyphosate has no expiration period. Sounds interesting, isn’t it?
- Works on both annual and perennial weeds
- Works on both annual and perennial grasses & plants that are unwanted
- Will kill the lawn grasses as well
9. Ortho 0430005 B Gon Weed Killer for Lawns – Editor’s Choice
- Dandelions, broadleaf & clovers are targeted
- Guaranty you a harmless lawn
- Weed roots are targeted
- Visual results within hours
Target those weeds which are growing at a sufficient rate. It defends rain within one hour. It kills the pots only, doesn’t affect the lawn if you use them as directed. It works on Buffalo grass, Fescues, Ryegrass, Zoysia grass, Centipede grass, Bahia grass, Bluegrass and Bermuda grass. It is formulated for northern and southern lawns. This gives a chance to witness a visible result within hours.
It is an intelligent move to buy this product. After spending lots of money on different products, it reached me like magic. I sprayed it, and three hours later, I found out that the weeds are wilting and dying. Then within two and half weeks, my neighbour came and asked the secret as his lawn was still full of dandelions.
I clearly remember the moment as he was giving a compliment, which was giving me much pleasure. I am sure you also want this kind of praise regarding your lawn. So, try this one for only once at least. Make sure you are going through the instruction.
- More than 250 weeds are listed and targeted
- Major broadleaves are targeted
- Works on St. Augustine but not on Floratam
10. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed Fertilizer
- Two times extra-powerful
- Satisfactory guarantee
- Most potent and recommended product of Scotts
- Weed-grip Technology
It is an updated and durable formula than the previous one with some unique features. It will make your lawn look fresh and healthier by thickening, clearing out invaders, weeds and deepening the roots and resulting into more greenish view.
You may take it as a suggestion, “Apply the stuff on damp soil”. What I used to do is watering my lawn for almost 20 minutes before application. And I do this in the evening. Once I used it without watering the garden that is not on a damp lawn, and the result was so unfortunate. I thought that I just wasted my money! Then it turns out that I didn’t pay heed to the instructions and made a mistake.
It has a dual character of weeding out and feeding as fertilizer to your lawns. Its weed-grip technology will clear out that unseen weed along with the visible that you visualize.
You can use it on Kentucky Bluegrass, Ryegrass, Centipede, Fescue, Bahia grass, Zoysia grass, Bermuda grass. If you don’t know the characters of your lawn, then search for its’ role on the internet.
You will see some results like- Ryegrass has a nature of dense growth with soft blades, Bermuda has sharp edges with a view of growing thickly, Zoysia is slightly prickly with thick tips, Bahia grass used to build densely along with soft blades.
As Scott’s stuff always works on a limited type of grasses so, you should always look at the instructions that have been provided on it.
- Dual character
- Works well on damp soil
- Twice per year is enough
- Doesn’t affect crabgrass
Buying Guide – Best Weed Killer for Dandelions
We know it’s your right to get the best. So, to get the best one in your hand, you must know some of these following points. Of course, all the above products are best. But they will show your desired result depending on your needs. As you already visualize the last picture in your imagination, then you must have known that what your problem is.
Chemical or Organic
By reading the label, you will get to know either it is synthetic or made of natural raw material. Find out which one your lawn needs.
Pre or Post problem
Once you select between chemical or organic, you need to know whether you want a pre-emergent or a post-emergent. A pre-emergent will stop the seed before it starts to germinate. It can be both liquid or granular. A post-emergent vanishes the established weed. As this mixture is casually the toxic one, so be sure to take safety precautions.
Selective or Non-selective
The purpose of choosing a particular killer is that you want to kill only the targeted dandelions and not to affect its surroundings. A non-selective one will kill any plants that you sprayed on.
Persistence or Non-persistence
It describes a product’s activity rate. The one who will have a lasting tendency and will inhibit future growth is called persistence. The opposite one not effecting future growth is non-persistence stuff. My personal choice goes to selective and persistence one.
Many products limit the time of effect due to weather condition. By reading the reviews of users and instruction, you will get to know which product can undergo all kinds of weather. Whether it is so dry or raining, the product which can go through the both is the best one saving both your time and money as well.
1. What will only kill the dandelion, not the grasses?
Ans: All the “selective” products will eventually kill your targeted enemies, not the grasses.
2. What does a good dandelion killer mean?
Ans: Selective, persistence, and having excellent durability stands a good dandelion.
3. Does pulling kill dandelions?
Dandelions need to be killed from the roots which are not possible by pulling. So, using a dandelion killer is an excellent option to finish it. Otherwise, they will grow again.
In the end, I hope this list containing the best dandelion killer has helped you out. So, stop waiting and get the best dandelion to knock down the dandelions out of your garden.
In our verdict, Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed Killer is the best product as it has proved that the safest thing can be the most powerful one. By researching, you will be able to see that it is the most rated and purchased one in the current market. It always got a useful review from the users for its’ outstanding results.
The next one we prefer is the Southern Ag – 12401 – Surflan A.S. It the second-highest rated one in the market. It is for them who want a pre-emergent herbicide. Many of the lawn owners have a clean lawn, and now all they want is that no further dandelions take place. For them, this one is a perfect choice.
The third one we suggest is Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer. It is rainproof and contains 41% glyphosate, which offers a shelf life.
- Top 10 Dandelion Killer Reviews
- 1. Spectracide 511071 Weed and Grass Killer
- 2. Espoma Organic Weed Preventer
- 3. Green it Environmental Factor RTS Corn Gluten Weed Preventer
- 4. Southern Ag Amine 24-D Weed Killer – Best herbicide for dandelions
- 5. SDoctor Kirchner Natural Weed Killer – Best Pick
- 6. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate
- 7. Southern Ag – 12401 – Surflan A.S.
- 8. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer – Budget Pick
- 9. Ortho 0430005 B Gon Weed Killer for Lawns – Editor’s Choice
- 10. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed Fertilizer
- Buying Guide – Best Weed Killer for Dandelions
- Final Thought